We know there are many benefits of plants; from therapeutic and healing properties, through to how people look after their environment more if they are able to connect with nature. There are some amazing gardening projects taking place local to you. There are various groups in the community; in council or charity run gardens, schools and so on.
Where are some local community gardens and how can you get involved?
We’ve researched what’s near to our garden centres in Sudbury, Suffolk and Tiptree, Colchester, Essex . If you know one which is not included on our list please email email@example.com and let us know!
We suggest you visit their websites or social media pages to see if what they offer matches what you are after. Many of them offer groups for those with specific needs, and also require volunteers to help them with everything from administration tasks through to tree planting and weeding.
- Activ Lives two sites in south-west IPWSICH and SUDBURY.
- Friends Community Farm (FCF) – ASSINGTON NR SUDBURY
- Ipswich Community Garden – We aspire to achieve a garden that local people can get involved in and reap the benefits. – IPSWICH
- The Shed – Community Garden – BURY ST EDMUNDS
- Suffolk Community Garden Students at Castle Manor Academy have teamed up with the Suffolk Mind charity to develop a sensory garden project. – HAVERHILL
- Tendering District Council – JAYWICK
- St Helena Hopsice
- Essex Wildlife Trust has lots of volunteering opportunities.
- Get involved with your local ‘In Bloom’ group who are likely to be looking for volunteers. We know in 2019 there were active groups in Colchester, Sudbury and Halstead.
- RSPB A family-friendly wildlife garden – FLATFORD
- New Town Community Garden The garden is run by volunteers wishing to build a community, create a beautiful space for wildlife and relaxation and grow edible and non-edible plants.
- Springfield Community Garden – CHELMSFORD (Clerk@springfield-pc.gov.uk)
- Abberton Rural Training A programme which offers practical and skills training to residents of Essex – COLCHESTER
- Together We Grow CIC & The Big Garden – High Woods Country Park, COLCHESTER
- Wellies On CIC – COLCHESTER
- Age Concern – COLCHESTER
- Lauriston Farm – GOLDHANGER
- Cressing Community Garden – CRESSING
- Thrive – using gardening to change lives
It may also be of interest to know that there is a group researching Green Exercise at the University of Essex.
They have been researching the concept of Green Exercise for 16 years, coining the term itself in 2003. The Green Exercise Research Team comprises experts in the areas of exercise physiology, health and well-being, environmental sustainability, community engagement, behaviour change.